EMMA

EMMA
my angel

Monday, November 28, 2011

THE JOY OF BEING A GRANDMA

Being a grandmother is an honor which, if you are fortunate, time bestows. Unlike almost every other reward in life, you do not have to work for it . Having been a parent is no guarantee, and I feel sorry for my friends whose children show no sign of starting a family, because I know that the pleasure which I feel in having grandchildren seems to be universal among my friends. We may have disagreed over the years about many things but this new factor in our lives always produces the same response. A sort of rejuvenating glow. We view each others photos and exchange anecdotes.

Old age commands no respect in our society. On the contrary, particularly for women, it is usually regarded as something shameful, to be lied about and disguised as long as possible. I have always been bluntly honest about my age and when my daughter, pregnant with her first child, asked what I would like to be called on its arrival, I had no hesitation in saying GRANDMA. I was about to arrive at the top of the family tree and intended to make the most of my new status.

Wonder what it feels like to be a great-grandmother?

No comments: